Much effort is put into maintaining a building throughout its lifetime. One key, yet sometimes overlooked part of building maintenance, is the window cleaning process. There are numerous benefits to having clean windows. Besides being aesthetically pleasing, having clean windows will also avoid deterioration from dust and dirt thereby increasing the longevity of your windows. In this quick guide, we’re going to give you 5 steps on how to clean your windows like the pros!
Bucket: Preferably one that will be wide enough to hold your squeegee.
Squeegee: Good quality brands like Unger and Sorbo are recommended. Over time, your squeegee blade will become dull. This can cause those annoying window streaks, so be sure to switch the blade as needed. Many commercial window cleaning technicians go thru a blade a day!
Detergent: There is no need to spend a lot of money on the so-called secret window washing formulas. A run of the mill brand like Palmolive is just fine.
Window Cleaning Scraper: Very useful to get tough materials off windows. Use with caution!
Microfiber Cloth: These clothes are fantastic because they leave a window streak-free!
You will also need a brush or sponge and a pole for those tough to reach areas.
How To Get It Done Like A Pro In 5 steps
- Fill your bucket about halfway with cold water. Hot water will evaporate the water too quickly. Then add a few squirts of detergent.
- Apply the detergent-water mix to the window.
- Take your brush or sponge and pass it along the window to get any debris your squeegee may not be able to pick up. If you need to use the scraper for those tough obstacles, be sure to pass it in a forward direction only! Doing otherwise can cause scratches on the glass.
- Now get your squeegee ready. Starting from the top left, drag your squeegee in a reverse-S pattern(if you are left handed, start at the top right). Be sure to dry your squeegee before your next run! This prevents any streaks from forming due to the excess water left on the squeegee.
- Finally, use a microfiber cloth to dry your windows.
Some quick tips
– Use a towel to dry the bottom of the window frame where a lot of dirt and dust will wind up. This will avoid having to go thru too many microfiber cloths. Save the cloth specifically for the glass.
– Don’t use too much soap! Too much soap will leave a film on the glass.
– Having differently sized squeegees can prove to be very useful; especially as the window sizes change.
There you have it! You are now equipped to clean your windows like a pro. You could even start your own commercial window cleaning company! Whether you are a DIY homeowner, a DIY business owner, or an aspiring professional window cleaner; I hope this quick guide has helped you in your window cleaning mission. Keep those windows clean and streak-free!